Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Scones...

I love to bake.  My grandmother was always baking when we went to visit and my mom has always made delicious treats as well.  But, thus far, I've pretty much stuck to the basics ... cookies, brownies, cupcakes and the occasional cake.  Until today.  Last week, I saw this recipe pop up on Tasty Kitchen.  And ever since I saw it, I've been determined to make scones.  I had my doubts, but the recipe made them seem so easy.  So, I set out this afternoon to conquer scones.  And I am happy to report, that I did not fail.  They were a little bit more time consuming than I thought they would be, but honestly, they were not that bad.  I think I made things more difficult because I gave J. the option between having scones with cranberries, chocolate chips or cranberries and chocolate chips and he wanted cranberries only.  And, of course, I wanted chocolate chips in mine.  So I divided the dough and made two different kinds of scones which added a few extra steps.  I am not a photographer, so bear with my iPhone photos:

Cranberry Chocolate Chip Scones

Cranberry Scones

The finished product!  

I am REALLY impressed with how the scones turned out ... I don't know if I found a good recipe or got lucky or what, but they turned out really well.  They are crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside!  These would be the perfect "impress the company" breakfast or snack.  So, if scones have seemed intimidating to you, I say ... go for it!  They are so much easier than you expect.  

Happy Baking! 
S.E.J.

1 comment:

  1. Love scones, though I don't think I've ever made them. I grew up near a fair where they had the most amazing scones every year, such buttery goodness.

    ReplyDelete