Friday, September 24, 2010

Hiking Excelsior Mountain!

Last Tuesday, J. had the day off so we packed up the car and headed up towards Mt. Baker to hike Excelsior Mountain.  I was slightly nervous because I'd been sick the previous week with some kind of sinus/cough/cold thing and my cough hadn't gone away completely.  I also hadn't worked out in a week.  And, J.'s better than me at EVERYTHING and even if I had been 100% healthy I likely would have been slowing him down.

The morning started out very cloudy and gray, but it was supposed to clear up around noon.  We decided to trust the weather guy and headed up towards Bellingham with the dogs.  It was about a 2 1/2 hour drive to the trailhead and as soon as we turned off the highway in Bellingham the sun came out and the day turned gorgeous.

Starting out...

Hiking past a lake ... there were people camping on the far side of the lake.  It looked like a really cool campsite!

The view from one of the many spots I stopped to rest ...

Another view ...

J. and the dogs crossing a stream ...

Up some stairs ...

Mt. Baker from the backside of the mountain ...

And ... we finally turned the corner and headed up to the very top.

And once we turned up the final path, it was all uphill ... and not a little uphill, but MAJOR uphill.  The last part was very hard.  But I made it and the view from the top was worth it! 

Mt. Baker from the top:




Ads at the top ... enjoying the view:


And then we headed back down ...

Some more stairs ...

Addy and Lucy playing in the stream next to the trail ...



A little waterfall in the stream ...

Lucy ... I was behind her, Ads and J. for the whole hike so she would stop and wait for me every now and then.  As soon as she saw me, she would race off to meet back up with J. and Addy.  She did this every 5-10 minutes, it was adorable.

We finally made it to the end of the hike and headed home.  It was a great hike ... a challenging but doable trail and a gorgeous view coupled with a gorgeous day.  I definitely recommend this hike to anyone in the Seattle area ... as long as you're not sick!



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! September is the best time for hiking around here. I haven't done much hiking at Baker. I've spent a lot of time at Rainier, though. This weekend I'm heading up to the North Cascades/Ross Lake area for a little hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is great! I can't remember if I've hiked there. Then again I've hiked so many places since I could walk I don't remember. Even before I walked. My dad carried me on a backpack. :)

    ReplyDelete