Thursday, July 7, 2011

Weekend Recap!

It feels weird to be doing a weekend recap on Wednesday, but I guess that's what happens when you have a holiday weekend!  We had a really fun weekend but I didn't take a lot of pictures, whoops.

Saturday, J. went camping.  It was very impromptu and I didn't feel like going, so I spent the day with my friend, J. the P.A. (her name starts with a J. and she's in Physician's Assistant school, get it?).  We met when she was doing a P.A. rotation in Oak Harbor (she's still in school).  Anyways, we spent the morning wandering through the shops in downtown Anacortes and then sitting outside at the Rockfish Grill and having some nachos.  Yum.  Then we headed over to Whistle Lake to soak up some more sun.


  I'd like to go back to Whistle Lake because I'm not quite sure we saw it all.  The "beach" we were on could probably seat 10 people comfortably and that seems small to me considering this place gets a lot of traffic.  If anyone out there knows where the good place to get some sun on Whistle Lake is, let me know!  We ended the evening with a BBQ at another friend's house.  It was a nice little Saturday :) 

Sunday morning was very dreary and I had a very hard time getting motivated to do anything.  Luckily, it cleared up in the afternoon and we get some yard work done.  It is never ending.  Seriously.  I think I could weed every day for at least an hour and still not stay on top of it.  It's crazy.  Sunday night, we headed to Big Lake for a BBQ and to see their fireworks.  Apparently, at Big Lake, they do their fireworks on the 3rd every year.  If you live in the Big Lake area and you have never been, you need to go.  It was gorgeous.  The lake is huge and is nestled right at the base of the mountains.  From the porch of the house our view was the lake, houses on the other side of the lake, mountains and Mt. Baker.  I am so mad we didn't bring our camera because it was amazing.  And the fireworks were amazing as well -- the volunteer fire department does a big display but several houses along the lakefront also shoot fireworks off ... and not lame fireworks, huge fireworks. I think we watched fireworks for over 2 hours.  And we roasted marshmallows ... have you seen those new, GIANT marshmallows for s'mores?  That's what we had :)  It was pretty awesome.  

Monday, we did some more yard work and then went and saw Bad Teacher in the afternoon.  It was a funny movie, but I'm not sure it's worth paying movie theater prices for.  Go rent it when it comes out on DVD!  Then, the real fun started.  We headed down to Seattle to S2 and R.H.'s apartment for a little shindig and Lake Union fireworks viewing.  They have the best view.  Luckily, I was smart enough to bring my camera this time: 

Mt. Rainier, the skyline and Lake Union

The sun setting over the city.

Happy Fourth of July!








I hope you all had wonderful holiday weekends as well!

2 comments:

  1. YES, I have seen those giant marshmallows! Why weren't those invented sooner?!

    Also, your fireworks pictures are some of the best I've seen! I love the Lake Union fireworks. When I lived on Capitol Hill, we could see them from my rooftop. Oh, how I miss that.

    Sounds like you had a fantastic holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great firework pictures! It's so difficult to capture them at just the right moment, but you did it multiple times!

    Oh, I would love to visit Washington someday. I've never been farther west than Texas. Shame.

    ReplyDelete