Friday, October 15, 2010

Portland, Day 3

I was depressed for a short while on my last morning in Portland ... it's always weird when you've been hanging out with a bunch of people and then they leave and it's just you.  But, I got myself out of my funk and headed out into Portland to enjoy my last day.

I started at the Portland Farmer's Market.  The farmer's market in our town is over the weekend, so I had missed it and wanted to get some vegetables for the week.  I was not disappointed.  It was set in a park and was full of goodies ... including an adorable bakery, Two Tarts Bakery.  I will definitely be looking them up next time I'm in Portland.  They had amazing macaroons, small treats, and mini chocolate chip cookies with sea salt sprinkled on them.  YUM.

I know it's sideways, but you get the point.  The adorable little box from Two Tarts.

Loved the paper inside

And finally, the goodies!

After the Farmer's Market, I headed over to Pioneer Square to see the Courthouse.  We'd walked by it several times, but I hadn't stopped to take it all in.

The busy square

No smoking!

The Courthouse ... I LOVE old courthouses

And a close-up

Next up, I wanted to go back to the riverfront and get a picture of the "Made in Oregon" sign.  Luckily, VooDoo doughnuts was on the way to the sign.  I decided if they didn't have a line, it would be a sign that I should go in and get more doughnuts.  And guess what?  There was NO line.  So how could I not go in?

I got myself two Marshall Mathers (M&M doughnuts) and an Oreo one for J.  


It was hard to get a good picture of the sign because there were so many huge trees along the road ... 
but how can you be mad about that?

From here, I headed back to the hotel to pick up my car.  I had one more stop to make ... J. wanted some Portland beer.  So, I picked up Reliable Randy and headed to find beer.  The concierge recommended I try Whole Foods.  I was disappointed with their selection and it was all cold.  However, when I headed back to the car, I looked up and realized I had parked right across from the Deschutes Brewery, one of the beers J. asked for.  What a coincidence.  He got some beer after all.  I also stopped by Powell's City of Books before I headed out: 


What a neat place ... I think it takes up an ENTIRE city block.

I had one last stop to make before I headed back to Washington ... the International Rose Test Garden.  I think I missed prime rose season, but it was still a neat place to visit.











Some of my favorites had won awards!

You could see downtown Portland from the top of the hill, but it was hard to get a good pic.


After that, I headed back to Washington.  I really enjoyed my time in Portland and can't wait to go back!





No comments:

Post a Comment