Saturday, August 11, 2012

Hong Kong - Day 5

Our last day in Hong Kong was bittersweet.  I was ready to get back home, but not ready to leave the city or J.!  We ventured out to California Pizza Kitchen for lunch and then Mrs. S. and I headed back to the Jade Market while the boys headed back to the hotel to get some pool time.  We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing and then met up with the A.'s for dinner.

We rode the Star Ferry across Victoria Harbor and then tried to go see the Central to Mid Level Escalators.  However, our cab driver could not understand us so we went straight to the restaurant.  We originally had reservations at The Steakhouse winebar + grill in the Intercontinental, but after friends went and had a $600.00 bill, we found a new restaurant :)  Craftsteak came recommended to us by Mr. and Mrs. D.


We enjoyed ourselves, however before we had even ordered, a giant cockroach came crawling down the wall.  I was *SO* creeped out for the rest of the meal.  We have giant cockroaches all over Japan and Hong Kong is very densely populated so I know it probably wasn't a cleanliness issue, but I was still grossed out.  The chef did send two desserts to our table at the end of the meal so that was a nice gesture.

Our bottle of wine

My filet with herb butter

We stopped by an Irish Pub so the boys could have one last beer (they can't drink when they are on the carrier, so they needed one last beer to tide them over) and then we sent them back to the boat.

We had one last night at the Harbour Grand Kowloon and left early the next morning for the airport.  

Mrs. S. and I were obsessed with these McDonald's employees Hello Kitty t-shirts:




Where can I buy one?!

We flew from Hong Kong back to Taipei, Taiwan, where we were delayed several hours.  The airport did not have the best selection of food (and our airplane meals were less than ideal) so I purchased Godiva Chocolates at the duty free store in the airport.  

This is what $7.00 will get you from the duty free:


Yikes.  Well worth it though when you're hungry!

We made it back to Narita and back to base, where Miss Lucy was waiting very patiently for me to get home.

We had a wonderful time in Hong Kong and I highly recommend putting it on your bucket list.  I did spend more money than I had originally planned, but I wouldn't say that Hong Kong was an expensive city.  I thought it seemed pretty reasonable, especially if you planned ahead and took advantage of the cheap modes of transportation and the happy hours offered at almost every bar.

I did very little research in advance of our trip.  I knew the main things that I wanted to see while I was there and used Frommer's Hong Kong the whole week.  I was very happy with the book and would highly recommend it.  I liked it so much that I've already ordered the Frommer's Guide for our next port call!

No comments:

Post a Comment