Thursday, February 2, 2012

MLK Weekend

J. and I spent MLK weekend in Whistler, Canada with approximately 18 other people from his squadron (give or take a few...).  It was SO much fun and I am so glad that we went.  The week before we left is when I found out that J. would be deployed over September 1st (our wedding day) and I wasn't really in the mood to spend the weekend with 18 people singing the Navy's praises.  However, I pulled myself together and managed to enjoy myself.  And really, how could I not in that beautiful town?

We drove up Friday night and had dinner at the Brewhouse at Whistler.  It was good - but nothing special.  We hit the slopes on Saturday and Sunday - where we overheard a pretty great conversation.  Sometimes I tend to forget that other countries don't celebrate the same holidays that we do here in the U.S.  Two Canadians were talking about the large crowds that weekend and one recalled that it was an American holiday weekend.  Hmm, but which holiday?  Nelson Mandela Day.  Of course.  


We stayed at Fitzsimmons Walk and these condos were AMAZING.  The condo had some really cool built-in features and a hot tub.  My only complaint were the thin walls ... when someone got up in the morning, everyone got up.  When the single guys came home late from the bars at night, everyone woke up. 

Whistler Village

Olympic Rings

Snow!

We had great snow for skiing both days.  J. and I skied with our friends Mr. and Ms. B. and we had a great time.  I know how to ski, and I've been skiing since I was about 8, but I am a very cautious skier which always leads to me being the slowest and worrying about how I am going to get down the mountain.  J., Mr. B. and Ms. B were all VERY patient with me and we had a fun two days!

We skied Whistler Mountain the first day and Blackcomb the second, and I think the second day was my favorite.  We found some good blue runs off of the Seventh Heaven lift and had a great afternoon.  It also wasn't as windy the second day so it wasn't as cold and there wasn't as much powder.  I know people LOVE skiing in powder, but I honestly think it's a lot of extra work and I never feel like I have control over my skies in it!

Me and Ms. B.
Photo courtesy of Ms. B.

And I have to say, that in spite of the large amount of people that were skiing that weekend, the slopes did not feel crowded.  We definitely waited in line a bit at the lifts, but nothing unreasonable.

All in all it was a great trip and I would highly recommend a visit - even if you don't like to ski there is plenty to do!  Three of the girls in our group didn't ski at all - they walked around the village, checked out the shops (great shopping!) and went tubing.

All photos in this post courtesy of Mrs. S., unless otherwise noted.  She was one of my first Navy friends and will also be coming to Japan with us, for which I am so thankful.

1 comment:

  1. How fun!! Nick went last year but I haven't been in years - I need to get back up there. Such a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete